Thursday, April 29, 2010

Gu Cai with prawns

I spotted this plate of greenish white chives-looking vegetables and immediately shouted at Mr Hoby! After his nod of confirmation, I excitedly placed one packet into my shopping bag!

I am super shocked by the price! A small bunch of this cost me AUS$2.90 (it might even be less than 20 strands)! But we are happy! I dunno what is the exact name of this vegie but my mum calls it the white strand gu cai (aka white coloured chives).

I can guarantee that even those vegies-haters would love this plant once you try my mum's recipe of gu cai fried with prawn and deep-fried bian yu(扁鱼)! I cannot find bian yu here and hence, I do without it and its also as yummy.

The trick is to marinate the prawn first before frying: wine, sesame oil, fish sauce, sugar, cornflour and pepper.

Fry the prawn until cooked, remove it, throw in mashed garlic and then the gu cai.


The end results of my frying is shown below. I am surely going to get more from the market this week!


0 comments:

Post a Comment