Sunday, April 4, 2010

Hei Zou or Po Yi (slang) - Deep-fried bean curd skin rolls with minced pork and prawn

Why did I choose Hei zou as my first dish to share? One of the very reason is because, it represents my dialect. I call it the Hokkien comfort vintage food! Ha...I remembered the first time when I made it, I was really nervous and excited. I called my mum alot of times just to ask her if I have done the steps correctly and checked with her the steps over and over again. Haha...
I am so glad that I could find most of the ingredient at Brissy. Other than minced pork (which you will see in all recipes),my mother adds minced prawns as well.Now, the trick is to always add corn starch to the mince and 1 egg. Because I cannot find fresh chestnut, I substitute with spring onion instead for the crisp!
Something that I learnt from mum is to use a sheet of wet kitchen towel and wipe the skin at least 3 times to get rid of the saltiness and this also adds moisture to the skin. After wrapping the mince to the beancurd skin, I placed them (in long strips) into the fridge. It is also a marinating process. The next day, I steamed them, cooled them and then cut them into ball cubes like these (shown below). Before frying, I coated them in tapioca flour for the extra crispiness).


Wala! Done!

2 comments:

Room to Think said...

nor hiang! woohoo, yumm! man your blog makes me drool. faith, please come over and teach me to cook. really could do with some help and instructions. :)

a portion of me said...

Hey, we are going over to GoldCoast with 2 visitors from SG in late June. If you dun mind, how about we can drop by your place and then I can cook for you!

Post a Comment